Rheumatologist or orthopedist please respond. Acquired hypermobile joints, can they become looser as one ages due to muscles losing strength?

Dr. Karen Johnston-Jones
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Not straightforward

I'm an orthopaedist.
Not sure I am familiar with acquired hyper mobile joints. In any regard, joint laxity is generally due to the quality of the collagen in the capsule and surrounding ligaments stabilizing the individual joints. That said, hyper mobile joints that are out of alignment from diseases like lupus, ra, DJD and trauma tend toward more misalignment with time. Muscles not a factor.

In brief: Not straightforward

I'm an orthopaedist.
Dr. Karen Johnston-Jones
Dr. Karen Johnston-Jones
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine