What causes neck pain that becomes unbearable at times? I have burning and numbness in the neck with stiffness . What could it be? Please help

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Evaluate Neck

If you are not improving have your doctor order a cervical spine mri.
Many times a herniated disc in the neck can cause arm pain especially if you have not improved with the medications and physical therapy. If it is a herniated disc you may need evaluation from a spine specialist to determine what other options might be needed (injections, surgery, etc) to help reduce pain.

In brief: Evaluate Neck

Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Robert Kent
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Hard to say without

A physical exam but from the description it sounds like you may have either nerve root irritation (although you would usually expect some degree of radiation down one or both arms), or facet arthritis pinching medial branch nerves with subsequent muscle spasms related only to the pain.
I would suggest discussion with a pain doc to see if there is an injection or therapy other than pt already had.

In brief: Hard to say without

Dr. Robert Kent
Dr. Robert Kent
Dr. Donald Colantino

In brief: ?nerve

Severe neck pain on motion could be due to a nerve impingement from a bulging disc.
Inflammation of neck muscles is another possibility. I recommend an evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon for diagnosis and treatment. In the meantime you could try warm packs intermittently, liniment, soft neck collar and, if you can take them, nsaids like ibuprofen.

In brief: ?nerve

Dr. Donald Colantino
Dr. Donald Colantino
Dr. Diane Minich

In brief: Musculus-skeletal

Pain. Try ice, heat stretches ANS muscle massage and correct posture.
If not better see your doctor.

In brief: Musculus-skeletal

If not better see your doctor.
Dr. Diane Minich
Dr. Diane Minich
Dr. Vikram Patel