My sis is taking risperidone for 1st time psychosis. Now severely depressed. Could risperdn cause deprsn? Now taking cypralex 1 wk. Will this help? Taking 8 days now. Despair! no desire/feelings

Dr. Brian Writer

In brief: Many causes

Depression can be caused by many contributory biological (eg medications, medical conditions, substances, etc), psychological (eg thoughts, resiliency, etc) and/or situational (eg loss of job, interpersonal disconnect, etc) features.
Risperidone and/or the actual cause/reaction to the psychosis can cause depression. Cipralex (an ssri antidepressant) may help, but can take weeks for full effect.

In brief: Many causes

Dr. Brian Writer
Dr. Brian Writer
Dr. Linda Callaghan
Addendum to my previous answer. Risperdal in small doses can actually be used as a booster to an antidepressant in cases where there is Major Depression with psychotic features because it also has selective serotonin-blocking effect. Whether it can cause depression itself, it is possible but, as in my previous response, it maybe uncovered once the psychotic symptoms resolve.
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Psychotic depression

It sounds like your sister may have a psychotic form of depression.
This includes all the suffering of non-psychotic depression but with hallucinations and delusions added. These can be self-abusive and self-negating. Effective treatment requires both antidepressant and antipsychotic medications, so your sister's treatment should help. If suicidal, she may need inpatient treatment for a time.

In brief: Psychotic depression

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Amanda Itzkoff

In brief: Depressed sister

you are a very caring and supportive sister. There are multiple psychiatric illnesses that include depressive symptoms and psychotic symptoms, occurring either together, or sequentially.
Risperdal is approved tx for psychosis and it sounds like this has been effective. I'm sorry to hear that your sister is now quite depressed. The medication prescribed is appropriate. Much support to both of you.

In brief: Depressed sister

Dr. Amanda Itzkoff
Dr. Amanda Itzkoff
Dr. Linda Callaghan
Addiction Medicine

In brief: See a psychiatrist.

The Risperdal helps the psychosis and there is a condition called major depression with psychotic symptoms.
Yours sister may have been depressed but the psychosis masked the depression and may now be unmasked when the psychosis gets better. Th e cypralex will help but it takes anywhere between 2 to 4 weeks , on the right dose, for the depression improves. If she feels suicidal, she needs inpatient

In brief: See a psychiatrist.

Dr. Linda Callaghan
Dr. Linda Callaghan
Dr. Shontae Buffington