I am pregnant and possibly have cervical cancer. What happens to my baby if I do have cancer?

Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Cervical cancer

What happens to your pregnancy depends upon the gestational age when the diagnosis is made and choices you make with your doctors.
"possibly having cancer" and really having cancer is the first thing that needs clarification.

In brief: Cervical cancer

Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Pathology

In brief: Too many variables

If it is carcinoma in-situ, it may be treated without any effect on the baby.
If the cancer is advanced, there would be a conflict about waiting to treat you versus delivering the baby prematurely. It is best discussed with your doctor who should have more information about your health status. In general, cancer in the mother does not affect her fetus, with very rare exceptions.

In brief: Too many variables

Dr. Shontae Buffington