I am pregnant and possibly have cervical cancer. What happens to my baby if I do have cancer?

Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Cervical cancer
What happens to your pregnancy depends upon the gestational age when the diagnosis is made and choices you make with your doctors.
"possibly having cancer" and really having cancer is the first thing that needs clarification.

In brief: Cervical cancer
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Pathology
In brief: Too many variables
If it is carcinoma in-situ, it may be treated without any effect on the baby.
If the cancer is advanced, there would be a conflict about waiting to treat you versus delivering the baby prematurely. It is best discussed with your doctor who should have more information about your health status. In general, cancer in the mother does not affect her fetus, with very rare exceptions.

In brief: Too many variables
Dr. Cindy Juster