I am considering becoming a pediatrician, and I am wondering if I would be required to circumcise babies during my training?

Dr. Teresa Carson
In brief: Only if you want to
Some programs will teach circumcision, but most leave it to the obstetricians.
More parents are opting not to circimcise, so if you want to learn, you can, but no one will force you to.

In brief: Only if you want to
Dr. Teresa Carson
Dr. Teresa Carson
In brief: Service provider
Depending on the program, you will be expected too learn those procedures normally performed by a pediatrician.
This will include at least one method of circumcision.In my region the pediatrician performs the circumcisions.If you are against providing this service when requested, you should stay out of general peds but consider a peds subspecialty that avoids the issue.There are many available.

In brief: Service provider
Dr. George Klauber
There are obvious geographic variations. Very few pediatricians perform circumcisions in Massachusetts & virtuslly no Pediatric Resident in New England learns to perform circumcisions during their Residency. Have only had 2 Pediatric Residents request circumcision training. However, all our OB & urology Residents are trained. I salute Dr. Ferguson who is obviously a marvellous & well-rounded physician & wholeheartedly share his opinion.
Dr. Zoey Goore
In brief: Circumcise
Required? Probably no.
Some programs don't even teach it. Most programs teach it if you want to learn it.

In brief: Circumcise
Required? Probably no.
Dr. Zoey Goore
Dr. Zoey Goore
Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology
In brief: Not required
Most newborn circumcisions in us are performed by obstetricians.
Pediatric urologists and pediatric surgeons, by and large do a better job. Fewer & fewer pediatricians do circumcisions. Firstly, most don't want to do it. Secondly they have to pay much more for malpractice insurance, so it is only financial viable if a pediatrician performs lots of them. You are safe either way. Good luck.

In brief: Not required
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Cindy Juster