How would I know if my baby has pneumonia instead of a regular cough?

Dr. Michael DePietro
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Doctor evaluation

If the baby appears very ill or is not getting better the only way to know for sure is to have a health professional exam the baby.
Based on details of the babies symptoms, findings on physical exam and maybe lab tests ( chest x rays, blood tests) if needed they can answer this question.

In brief: Doctor evaluation

Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: See your doctor

You do not say how old your baby is or what symptoms they have other than cough.
If there is any doubt in your mind about how ill your baby is you are much better off allowing the little one to be seen by a professional than making the call yourself. This is even true for doctor's children, where the doctor should not be managing their own family members.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Steven Seres