Have neck pain for 16 days. Doctor gave me naprosyn (naproxen) but hasn't helped pain. Would a Medrol dose pack help or does it have same effect as naprosyn (naproxen)?

Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Ophthalmology

In brief: Different effect

A Medrol (methylprednisolone) dose pack is a steroid, that's a very potent anti-inflammatory.
If naprosyn's not working, you need to find the cause of the problem. Best is to see an osteopathic physician, who can do a full osteopathic examination of your neck and spine, and provide treatment of your neck to reduce pain . She s/he will diagnose, and order additional tests and labs as needed.

In brief: Different effect

Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Rhonda Simons

In brief: Topical pain creams

Such as p34x with ketamine 10% that you can get from bellevue pharmacy in st louis can really help with any pain anywhere without increasing your risk for GI bleed, or feeling "weird" on other pain meds.
Put on at least twice-4 times daily for best results!

In brief: Topical pain creams

Dr. Rhonda Simons
Dr. Rhonda Simons
Dr. Joshua Rovner
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Yes it can help

I often give my patients Medrol (methylprednisolone) dose packs for severe flare-up of neck or back pain.
This is a much more potent anti-inflammatory that Naproxen and often can be more effective. It is certainly worth trying unless you have a help issue which would make it contraindicated.

In brief: Yes it can help

Dr. Joshua Rovner
Dr. Joshua Rovner
Dr. Eric Weisman