How come when I switched to Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) from Adderall XR I felt really bad. I thought it was the same thing. Im very tired, irritable, sweaty...?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Not unusual

Adderall and Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) both are amphetamine but are quite different from each other. Adderall is a mix of amphetamine salts and isomers.
D-amphetamine is the active ingredient, but some believe l-amphetamine "smooths" out the effects. Also, XR provides to bursts of meds. Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) is a prodrug that releases d-amphetamine in a very different pattern, with no "bursts." check with your prescriber.

In brief: Not unusual

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) is not

Exactly the same as adderall.
Rather it is the prodrug of adderall, meaning that your body converts it into the active drug. What you are describing are known possible side effects of vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine). Please give your doctor a call and let her know what you are experiencing.

Exactly the same as adderall.
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Peter Kurzweil