I have cancer, can I be more susceptible to complications caused by the west nile virus?

Dr. Raymundo Romero
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: TAKE PRECAUTIONS
It is well documented that pts with cll and lymphoma are a subgroup of cancer pts who are at higher risk of severe complications: encephalitis & meningitis and they tend to fair poorly.
The reason is that these two diagnosis are associated with a hypogammaglobulinemic state. In laymen's terms -these pts produce low levels of antibodies due to there disease making them less able to fight infections.

In brief: TAKE PRECAUTIONS
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Pathology
Folks over age 50, and folks on chemotherapy for cancer, are more susceptible to severe disease when they meet the west nile virus.
This has been accepted for the past decade.

Dr. Marsha Davis