Why is the vein that runs on top of my hand and wrist swelling if I leave my hand down?

Dr. John Landi
Phlebology

In brief: Venous pressure.

When your hands are placed above your heart the blood drains out of the hands and the flow of blood back to the heart increases.
The opposite occurs when the hands are down below the heart. The venous return decreases and the veins fill. This is normal and is due to changes in venous pressure due to what we call hydrostatic pressure. This can also be affected by levels of hydration, .

In brief: Venous pressure.

Dr. John Landi
Dr. John Landi
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY

In brief: Gravity

Veins bring blood back to heart, but they don't gave pulse like artery (arteries bring blood with oxygen to all tissues in your body).
When putting hand down you get venous pooling due to gravity , making veins larger. Movement, elevation of hand, and the muscle contraction all over your body helps bring the blood back to the heart. Amazing isn't it.

In brief: Gravity

Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Jack Hinkle