I am working in cambodia. I have elevated liver enzymes (alt 149) & GGT is 280. Is it safe to get hep a & b vaccines? Liver sonogram normal -

Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology

In brief: Get serology first,,

Before you even think of getting vaccinated it'd be good to get a serologic result to see if you've already been exposed and made antibodies to hep a, b or the other hepatitis viruses.
You might have contracted one of them without knowing it. Next, more liver tests/other tests would be needed to find out why your enzymes are elevated. You might have gone to an area endemic for malaria, etc..

In brief: Get serology first,,

Dr. Jonathan Jassey