Difference of pedal edema or ankle swelling?

Local or general. Pedal edema is how doctors refer to swollen feet. Pregnant women often get pedal edema as their pregnancy progresses heart disease circulation problems etc. Ankle get swelling because you have sprain ankle.
Foot vs Ankle. Edema means swelling, the former a medical term the latter laymen's. Pedal means foot, so pedal edema specifically means swelling of the foot or feet, with a multitude of causes. Ankle swelling, refers to the point above the foot where the leg ends. Circulation, lymph, and infections may all cause ankle edema (swelling). Consult a doctor if the swelling or edema is associated with pain.