Is it safe to try to conceive while having hives and angioedema? My doctor said I should cure the hives first and then keep trying to get pregnant.

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: No problem

Most hives can be controlled by antihistamines even in above average doses.
Since many antihistamines are in category b pregnancy, you can take them throughout your pregnancy. There is often no cure for hives but an allergist can help you to control them. At your age, you should not wait any longer if you want to conceive. However do not get pregnant if you get choking from throat swelling.

In brief: No problem

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
2 comments
Dr. Martin Morell
The hereditary form (HAE) often goes undetected for a long time, as its symptoms resemble those of more common disorders, such as allergy or intestinal colic. An important clue is the failure of hereditary angioedema to respond to antihistamines or steroids, a characteristic that distinguishes it from allergic reactions. It is particularly difficult to diagnose HAE in patients whose episodes are c
Dr. Martin Morell
can provide final confirmation. In this analysis, it is usually a reduced complement factor C4, rather than the C1-INH deficiency itself, that is detected. The former is used during the reaction cascade in the complement system of immune defense, which is permanently overactive due to the lack of regulation by C1-INH
Dr. Martin Morell
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Listen

To your doctor, he is right, the edema and over reactive immune system could affect many body compartments.

In brief: Listen

Dr. Martin Morell
Dr. Martin Morell
Dr. Mohammed Parvez

In brief: Follow doctor advice

It is not a good idea to conceive while you are going through allergic reaction.
This will put the fetus of getting exposed to allergy in mother's womb. I would wait until the present symptoms subside and can try to conceive next month.

In brief: Follow doctor advice

Dr. Mohammed Parvez
Dr. Mohammed Parvez