Difference between an ear infection treatment and ototoxicity?

Definition . Ototoxicity refers to medicine or other treatments or measures causing damage to the ear inadvertently. Ear infection treatment is designed to help the ear causing improvement in symptoms of infection or pain. We say that certain medicines that treat cancer or certain antibiotics may be ototoxic.
Terminology issues. There are some medications (gentamycin, vancomycin) & some viruses that can cause injury to the sensitive hearing mechanism(ototoxicity). The med toxicity can be minimized by adjusting the dose, the effect of a virus is unpredictable. Treating an ear infection is related to using anti-microbial meds to reduce fever & presence of germs. Hearing in generally only transiently affected.
Route. Ototoxicty is usually associated with systemic antibiotic and/or chemotherapy. Drugs which are taken by mouth or IV and go throughout the body. Certain chemotherapy agents are more likely to cause ototoxicty. Some antibiotics can cause ototoxicity as well (gentamycin/vancomycin). Drugs to treat ear infections given by mouth rarely would cause ototoxicity.