What causes bumps on the areola?

Dr. Christina Adberg

In brief: Normal

There are two types of bumps.
The areola has many small glands that produce lubricating secretions for the nipple. These glands get larger as we age, and become more obvious. Also there are erectile muscles beneath the skin of the areola that can can make the areola "bunch up" when it is cold or stimulated.

In brief: Normal

There are two types of bumps.
Dr. Christina Adberg
Dr. Christina Adberg
Dr. Kenny Chuu

In brief: Visual DX

Hi, it’s hard to say without a picture but there is a great app that may be able to help you get a diagnosis without being seen in person by a dermatologist.
The app is called VisualDX and is one of the best, if not the best out there. Many clinicians, including myself, use it. Just snap a photo and it gives you a list of possible diagnoses. Good luck!

In brief: Visual DX

Dr. Kenny Chuu
Dr. Kenny Chuu
Dr. Jane Van Dis