Is it ok to take Clomid (clomiphene) just for the chance of having multiple pregnancy?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Please don't

I am a high-risk ob/mfm doctor. I have treated countless patients with twins.
It sounds great: one pregnancy=two babies. But the fertility experts who answered this question are wise in advising that people use their tools and medications properly. Having more than one baby at a time is a challenge to mom during and after the pregnancy. Babies often weigh less, due to prematurity or poor growth.

In brief: Please don't

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Please see my Guide to Multifetal Pregnancy for information on twins. https://www.healthtap.com/health_guide/14
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Bad idea

Multiple births are complicated pregnancies.
There are many more pregnancy complications such as early delivery, diabetes, high blood pressure, and cesarean section delivery. The biggest risks are for the babies when they are born early (not all are). Sometimes if you try for twins then you get triplets (less w clomid). Best to try for one at a time. Check the web & your doc for facts.

In brief: Bad idea

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Not a great idea

Women taking Clomid (clomiphene) for infertility have a 5-10% chance of twins, but this is acceptable because they're taking it for a reason (not getting pregnant on their own).
Twins are more high-risk than a single baby - prematurity, short and long-term health problems, more preeclampsia and gestational diabetes, higher chance of c/section. If you don't have difficulty conceiving it's not worth the risk.

In brief: Not a great idea

Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Andrew Silverman
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Twins and Clomid (clomiphene)

It is ok, but be cautioned that a twin pregnancy is associated with risks.
Also Clomid (clomiphene) increases the chance of a daughter from 49 to 60%.

In brief: Twins and Clomid (clomiphene)

Dr. Andrew Silverman
Dr. Andrew Silverman
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Please cite the study that shows 40% males / 60% females with Clomid. 46% male / 54% female singletons with Clomid treatment in a small study (but the no Clomid group had 60% male / 40% female which is not very believable, probably too small a sample size to get accurate sex ratios) http://1.usa.gov/IJfm4Y
Dr. Amr Azim
Fertility Medicine

In brief: No its not ok

1. Why the desire to have multiple pregnancies? Multiple pregnancies are high risk for the mother and the outcomes of the babies even if twins is worse than singleton 2.
Are you implying without monitoring, that would be risky as you may develop multiple follicles e.G >3 which carries risk for triplets or higher order.

In brief: No its not ok

Dr. Amr Azim
Dr. Amr Azim
Dr. Shontae Buffington