Is there a difference between depression and depressive mood disorders?

Dr. William Holmes
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Possibly

I am not sure how you are using the term "depressive mood disorders.
" depression (major depression) is one of the depressive disorders, but there are other types. So, my answer largely depends on how you are using your terms. In general, there is not a big difference between the two terms.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. William Holmes
Dr. William Holmes
Dr. Glen Elliott
"Depression" can refer just to the mood state; depressive disorders typically have sustained depression assocaited with other symptoms such as disturbed sleep and appetite, decreased energy, suicidal ideation, poor concentration and, in severe forms, even psychosis.
Dr. Neil Liebowitz

In brief: Symptom vs illness

Depression is one symptom of a variety of depressive mood disorders.
These can include: major depression, dysthymia, adjustment disorder with depression. Also depression can be a symptom of other disorders that are not labeled depressive such as ptsd and bipolar.

In brief: Symptom vs illness

Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Neil Liebowitz