What type of bacterial infection is methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus (mrsa)?

A bad type. Mrsa is a potent strain of staph bacteria that worries doctors because it is resistant to the antibiotic methicillin, which for many years was the single best treatment for staph infections. It is usually treatable with other antibiotics, such as Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) or doxycycline, but such infections can be very virulent and contagious.
Contagious. A staph infection can be localized to one area or spread over large portions of the skin. Mrsa is more common and means that certain antibiotics will not work on this strain of bacteria. This infection is less serious in outpatient compared ot hospitalized patient. Treatment is antibiotics, antibacterial soap, intra nasal bactroban to lessen chances of recurrence.