Is it normal for my hair to shed so easily from just massaging my head? I have kinky coily hair. And breast feeding my 6 month old.

Dr. Kirstie Cunningham

In brief: Normal postpartum

Most likely what you are experiencing is telogen effluvium. Telogen effluvium is common after childbirth.
It is caused by a larger percentage of the hair follicles being in the same phase (telogen) at the same time. Don't worry, however, it is usually temporary.

In brief: Normal postpartum

Dr. Kirstie Cunningham
Dr. Kirstie Cunningham
Dr. Brian Nguyen

In brief: Postpartum Thin Hair

Hair looks denser in pregnancy due to slower growth of basal hairs which tend to be thicker. However postpartum this hair normalizes and thins out (a relative increase in cycling of follicles) eventually falling out giving the impression of loss.
Hair can seem thinner for up to a year postpartum. In short, this can be a normal expectation for someone who's been pregnant.

In brief: Postpartum Thin Hair

Dr. Brian Nguyen
Dr. Brian Nguyen
Dr. Jane Van Dis