I have had a bad cough, fever and headache also had been feeling pretty tired. Could this of been the flu? I'm feeling better now but still have a cough

Possibly. Flu sympotms can include fever, chills, sore throat, cough, headaches, nasal congestion marked aching of muscles and joints ; significant fatigue. When present, nausea, vomiting and loose stools are more often seen in children. It could be another upper respiratory viral infection as well. Take care.
Your correct. The symptoms are consistent with a viral infection. The flu has been epidemic this year despite vaccinations. A viral respiratory infection requires your immune response to eradicate the virus. No antibiotics. Viral infections usually require 2 to 3 weeks for resolution.