What's better for recurrent corneal erosions: keratectomy?

Dr. Clement Cheng
Ophthalmology

In brief: Meds then surgery

Usually you want to move from least to most aggressive treatment.
Utilizing topical and oral anti-inflammatories as well as lubricating treatment should be tried first. Then superficial keratectomy and diamond polishing can be used followed by possible stromal puncture and laser ptk.

In brief: Meds then surgery

Dr. Clement Cheng
Dr. Clement Cheng
Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Ophthalmology

In brief: Depends

Recurrent erosions are usually a result of previous trauma to the epithelium resulting in poor adhesion to the underlying basement membrane.
Keeping the eye lubricated is an important first step, but utimately I do recommend a superficial keratectomy to allow the "new" epithelial layer to form adequate adherence to the underlying basement membrane.

In brief: Depends

Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Dr. Adam Smith