I have always had irregular periods. I would go 2-3 months without having a period. Now it comes every 2 weeks since I became sexually active again. Why?

Many causes. The menstrual cycle is under numerous influences, both externally (e.g. Stress, weight changes, diet, etc...) and internally (e.g. Pituitary gland, ovaries, adrenal glands, etc...). Additionally, pathology like uterine fibroids and endometrial polyps can also intervene. Sounds like a thorough work-up is in order. Get with your ob/gyn asap.