My chest often hurts when i breath & i get short of breath, pulmonary embolism runs in my family, could it possibly be hitting me too?

In brief: Chest pain

And shortness of breath could be symptoms of pulmonary embolism, so you should see a doctor. There are certain inherited conditions that can cause abnormal clotting too.

In brief: Chest pain

Dr. Robert Uyeda
Dr. Robert Uyeda
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Workup and Diagnosis

There are many conditions which cause shortness of breath.
Pulmonary embolism is one of the causes. I would suggest seeing your physician who may order pulmonary function tests, a chest radiograph and V/Q scan to help diagnose the reason for your shortness of breath. If you are overweight or not in good physical condition, this also can be associated with shortness of breath.

In brief: Workup and Diagnosis

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology