How fast does it take the rabies virus to go from the bite wound to the brain?

In brief: I-3 months

Rabies incubates in the body of the victim, and even an animal who has been infected, may not have it in saliva for quite some time.
Once it is active in a victim, the virus multiplies, and migrates up nerve fibres into the brain. The typical period is about one to three months, giving time to use vaccines to save a life.

In brief: I-3 months

Dr. Latisha Smith
Wound care

In brief: Depends on bite

The average duration of viral incubation (the time until the virus causes symptoms) is 20-90 days.
It is usually less than 50 days if the patient is bitten on the head or neck or if there is a large amount of infectious material inoculated from multiple bites or large wounds. The virus will not cause symptons during incubation. Virus is transferred to brain during incubation.

In brief: Depends on bite

Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Cindy Juster