Getting my pets immunized for rabies, is this an effective way to prevent rabies in my family?

Dr. Gregory Juckett
Travel Medicine

In brief:

Bat rabies is the most likely source of infection in the U.
S. But wild carnivores, such as racoons and skunks, may also carry this disease. If your unvaccinated pet cat or dog has contact with these animals, it could contract rabies and then expose your family. Avoid all contact with undomesticated animals, but also make sure your pet is adequately vaccinated against this deadly disease.

In brief:

Dr. Gregory Juckett
Dr. Gregory Juckett
Dr. Latisha Smith
Wound care

Rabies is an infection that pets get from other infected animals.
Having your pets vaccinated is a good start to protecting the family but it is important to remind children to avoid animals in the wild who might be carrying the disease such as feral cats or raccoons who might wander near your home to look for food.

Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Shontae Buffington