Are botox or hyaluronic acid injections contraindicated for someone pregnant?

Dr. Nina Naidu
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Botox pregnancy
Yes, Botox and fillers should not be used during pregnancy as we have no studies demonstrating their safety during this time.
Fortunately, pregnancy makes most women look wonderful, so i suspect you wouldn't need it anyways. Good luck!

In brief: Botox pregnancy
Dr. Nina Naidu
Dr. Nina Naidu
Dr. Edwin Ishoo
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Botox pregnancy
YES. Although there are no definitive studies demonstrating risk to the infant; there are no studies demonstrating safety either. My advise is to avoid Botox, fillers, chemical peels etc.
while you are pregnant.

In brief: Botox pregnancy
while you are pregnant.
Dr. Edwin Ishoo
Dr. Edwin Ishoo
Dr. Jason Lichten
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Not worth the risk
Botox and ha injections have not been studied in pregnant women so the answer is no, do not get cosmetic injections while you are pregnant.

In brief: Not worth the risk
Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology
In brief: Yes.
Botox and ha fillers are both pregnancy category "c", which means they have not been studied in pregnant women, so nobody knows for sure if they would harm the baby, and it's unlikely that anyone will try to find out.
Think about it -- are your wrinkles that bad, that you can't wait until you deliver the baby to get a cosmetic injection? Forget about it until the baby is born.

In brief: Yes.
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Bruce Genter
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Don't do it
During pregnancy you should avoid any medications, including injections for cosmetic purposes, that are not absolutely necessary.

In brief: Don't do it
Dr. Bruce Genter
Dr. Bruce Genter
Dr. Barry Handler
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Unknown
Since there will probably never be a study of Botox and fillers in pregnancy the answer will never be known with certainty.
Anecdotal experience suggests there is no harm but few doctors are going to recommend a cosmetic procedure in a pregnant patient. I suggest waiting nine months.

In brief: Unknown
Dr. Barry Handler
Dr. Barry Handler
Dr. Stephen A. Pap
Surgery - Plastics
When talking to the folks from the company, one finds out that there have been no studies done on the safety of either of these products in pregnant women.
Therefore, it is best to avoid using these medications until the patient has stopped breast-feeding. It is very easy to see why it would be difficult to test the safety of these medications in the pregnant population.

Dr. Stephen A. Pap
Dr. Stephen A. Pap
Dr. Ram Kalus
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Not really, but...
Both Botox and hyaluronic acid are minimally absorbed.
That being said, you should probably avoid any unnecessary interventions, treatments, or medications that might affect your baby. I would recommend deferring the treatments until after you have delivered your healthy baby, just to be cautious.

In brief: Not really, but...
Dr. Ram Kalus
Dr. Ram Kalus