Do drugsl cause a flat affect?

Dr. Paul Pancner
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Some

Not all drugs causs a flat affect, although some psychotropocs can.
Dependent partially dose, the atypical antipsychotis are capable of this; although twhe older generation antipsychotics are more apt to produce this side effect. Antianxieyu meds, particularly the benzodiazepones, can cause this at high doses.

In brief: Some

Dr. Paul Pancner
Dr. Paul Pancner
Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Some

In my experience, and much to my initial surprise, stimulants such as methylphendidate (ritalin (methylphenidate) and others) and amphetamine (dexedrine, adderall, etc.
) are the most common causes of such a complaint. Fortunately, completely reversable. It can happen also with other medications; but, when treating depression and schizophrenia, can be hard to know what is the disorder and what is the medicataion.

In brief: Some

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott