I thought mono, the kissing disease is harmless. Is it?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Not exactly harmless

Mononucleosis is a viral infection and generally not considered a serious infection.
However, mononucleosis can cause an enlarged spleen, which is at greater risk for rupture and hemorrhage. Thus we recommend avoiding all contact sports when one has been diagnosed with mononucleosis.

In brief: Not exactly harmless

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: ? harmless ?

When people get mono in early childhood it is often indistinguishable from other self healing viral illnesses.
They are sickly for a while but recover without problems.Teens and adults might have mild disease or be bedridden for 3 weeks to a few months with dangerous spleen enlargement and potential rupture.It is a disease I respect and while you might consider it harmless, others would not.

In brief: ? harmless ?

Dr. Brian Hoffman
Dentistry

In brief: Serious Issue

Mononucleosis, or mono, is a serious viral infection, usually associate with epstein-barr virus.
Mono is readily contagious with most bodily fluids, especially saliva, tears and mucous. Kissing can spread the disease, which is how it got it's nickname. Mono can last for weeks to a month or more. Fever, lethargy, swollen neck glands, and sore throat are all hallmarks. You can only get it once.

In brief: Serious Issue

Dr. Brian Hoffman
Dr. Brian Hoffman