What is causing monocular diplopia?

Monocular diplopia. Usually caused by a refractive problem correctable with glasses. Rarely can be caused by other types of eye problems. See your eye doctor to find the cause.
Usually cataract. If we are certain that the double image is coming from one eye only (patient still sees double with the other eye covered), the most likely causes are in the ocular "media", meaning the path between the outside world and the retina. Most common causes are cataract, corneal scar, surface retinal scar and other conditions, with cataract being by far the most likely.