Would having a long history of depression affect a persons ability to benefit a clinical psychology program?

In brief: My thoughts....
I am assuming that you are asking about becoming a clinical psychologist.
Most people who get into the mental health profession have suffered in some way. We can draw on that experience to develop empathy & understanding. However, I do believe it is essential to have dealt with your demons ( or at least the big ones) before dealing with another's demons. It is not uncommon for psychiatric or >.

In brief: My thoughts....
psychological interns (residents) to become regressed during their training. You need to be pretty strong going into it. But having well controlled, chronic depression doesn't mean that you aren't strong.
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
In brief: Doubt it
If the question is about getting intensive therapy despite long standing depression-this is a good indication for this treatment.
If the question is: does chronic depression disqualify one from becoming a psychologist? I would say no as long as the sufferer has gotten treatment and continues in treatment and supervision to be able to separate ones problems from those of the patients.

In brief: Doubt it
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Not necessarily
These programs are stressful for everybody.
The extra task you might have is being alert to your own mood changes and if you are monitoring your symptoms, and working on handling stress level -- and potentially aware of your reactions to the clients -- you will be able to succeed in a clinical psychology program.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Dr. Cheryl Wilczak
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Depression treatment
That is really an question that depends on you as an individual.
If you are referring to a treatment program, the fact that you are thinking about treatment at all is a plus that could positively impact your outcome. Motivation to change is a factor that dramatically impacts a treatment outcome in a positive way.

In brief: Depression treatment
Dr. Cheryl Wilczak
Dr. Cheryl Wilczak
Dr. Craig Westin
Clinical Psychology
In brief: It might help.
Many people who study psychology do so to help themselves as well as others.
Your suffering and experiences could increase your compassion and your ability to help others. Your search for knowledge in your program for helping others often adds to "know thyself." self knowledge is priceless. Often therapy is an integral part of a clinical program.

In brief: It might help.
Dr. Craig Westin
Dr. Craig Westin
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology
In brief: PSYCHOTHERAPY
Find a reputable psychotherapist in your area to discuss what depression means to YOU.
It means different things to different people. You can also discuss your desires to try to ;et the therapy alone treat the depression, without relying on meds, provided symptom severity does not urgently warrant medications.

In brief: PSYCHOTHERAPY
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Clinical Psychology
In brief: It could help or
Or hinder someone.
If someone has suffered from depression worked on their issues in therapy and learned how to cope with their depression it could be an asset. If they have not, it would be a reason not to apply to the profession since it would leave too many "blind spots" or issues that would get in the way of helping others.

In brief: It could help or
Or hinder someone.
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Dr. Eric Weisman