How long should I wait til I have carpal tunnel surgery?

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Severity

It depends on the severity of your symptoms and functional abilities.
If atrophy has set it or you are not capable of completing daily activities without simple modifications it may be time to seek relief.

In brief: Severity

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. David Tuckman
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Not to long

You don't want to wait until the point that you have continuous numbness and tingling.
This is a sign of potential permanent nerve damage, carpal tunnel release surgery can improve your symptoms but there is a possibility of permanent numbness in the fingers.

In brief: Not to long

Dr. David Tuckman
Dr. David Tuckman
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Neurosurgery

In brief: Symptoms worse

I typically advise patients to consider surgery if conservative care has failed and the symptoms are getting worse.
You don't want to wait too long as you run the risk of nerve damage if your CTS is severe.

In brief: Symptoms worse

Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Different for all

But i always let my patients know that if they have made it clear that they are holdong off for wahtever reason that they dont want to get past the point where they graly have tingling all the time and start to lose muscle mass ( if they havent gotten there yet) the longer you wait, the worse that the comlression is the harder it is to recover fully.
Note severe case is not a reason wait eitehr!

In brief: Different for all

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Robert Coats II
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Not too long!

Most people can tolerate the numbness and tingling associated with carpal tunnel syndrome (cts).
When it becomes more painful, especially at night, it's the right time to intervene. Assuming non-operative treatment with oral/injectable steroids, splints and therapy fails, surgical treatment is a good option. Surgery, open or endoscopic, is very successful and will prevent permanent neve damage.

In brief: Not too long!

Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Robert Coats II