What are factors contributing to cancer cachexia?

Cancer and treatment. The greek words kakos="bad things", & hexus="state of being. Cancer cachexia is characterized by diminished nutrient intake and progressive tissue depletion, both of which lead to weight loss. Cytokine activation and tumor-derived cachexia-inducing substances are thought to be the causes. In some cases, cancer treatment may also contribute to loss of lean body mass in patients with advanced cancer.
Multiple. Increased use of energy by tumor, release of cytokinces from tumor, loss of appetite, increased metabolic rate contribute to cachexia in tumors.