Can antiviral medication treat chronic hepatitis b?

Yes. There are currently 6 available antiviral medications for hepatitis b. Viread is the most common and Baraclude (entecavir) is also a first line therapy. Most of these medications only need to be taken once per day and have minimal side effects.
Yes. Absolutely. There are even some treatments shown to cure hepatitis b. The treatment takes a while though, and has many side effects, so it's not for everyone. Speak to your primary care physician about seeing a hepatologist to review your options.
Yes. There are various reasons when and why hepatitis B therapy should be started. There are 5 different medications (pills) approved for use in the US and also interferon injections can be used in some patients. These treatment rarely lead to a cure, but rather, they control the virus and prevent complications.