At 45 I had to have 2 knee replacemrnts and have since suffered rls. Can that be the cause if my rls?

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: RLS?
I am not aware of any connection between restless leg syndrome and knee surgery.
Certainly, with multiple surgeries, nerve damage can occur. Without being familiar with your history, it is very hard to provide an accurate diagnosis. However, at 45, it is unusual to having 2 knee replacements. You should try to avoid any additional surgeries and pursue multimodal pain management.

In brief: RLS?
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Richard Mueller
Phlebology
In brief: Consider veins
As many as half of all cases of RLS may be due to venous insufficiency which can be present even without visible varicose veins.
Importantly, treatment of diseased veins, for example with endovenous laser, improves or resolves RLS symptoms the majority of the time would advise seeing a vein specialist and having a doppler ultrasound of your leg veins.

In brief: Consider veins
Dr. Richard Mueller
Dr. Richard Mueller
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Mueller is right. Anyone who has RLS should have a venous evaluation, especially if you have any visible veins in your legs.
Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Restless legs
The cause of restless legs syndrome (rls) is unknown.
There is no proven association between RLS and a history of surgery on the lower extremities. Rls is a very common condition affecting about 7% of the entire population.

In brief: Restless legs
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine
In brief: In a way
Yes. Often i see RLS emerge after surgery or injury.
Blood loss anemia (iron deficiency) is a very common cause of rls. Treatment with replacing iron or the blood itself usually provides complete relief.

In brief: In a way
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology
In brief: Coincidence?
Dr. Mueller is right.
Vein disease is an often overlooked cause of rls. Any surgery can damage veins by cutting them, resulting in venous insufficiency that can produce RLS symptoms. Could also just be a coincidence.

In brief: Coincidence?
Dr. Mueller is right.
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
You're welcome.
Dr. Eric Weisman