I have a lot of heartburn. Some weeks I can have none but than others, its constant! acid reflux? Gerd? How can I know?

Dr. Jason Hemming
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Probably

Sounds like gerd which can be intermittent.
No one way to make the diagnosis, but if you feel better on a ppi then that usually is enough to make the diagnosis. Diagnosis of gerd can also be made with an endoscopy but not necessary.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Martin Raff
Agree with Dr. Hemming, but in addition, if GERD continues, endoscopy may be beneficial to assess for Barrett's Esophagus.
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Heartburn

Yes your symptoms suggest you have gerd.
You need to avoid very fatty meals, avoid certain foods which make your symptoms worse, like orange juice, pomatoes, mint, alcohol, smokingetc.You can try overthe counter Prilosec or Zantac (ranitidine) for the relief of your symptoms, if there is no relief see you doctor.

In brief: Heartburn

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Jack Hinkle