My wife and I have a baby boy already but we are now looking for a baby girl. What can we do to increase the chances of having a baby girl?

Dr. Jay Nemiro
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Best chance
Although there are many myths, none of them work.
If you are serious about having a girl then your best chances are doing ivf with pgs- pre-genetic screening. You can screen all 23 chromosomes, so you only put back girl embryos, you will know that they are chromosome healthy. This is an expensive option but the only one that "works". Hope this helps.

In brief: Best chance
Dr. Jay Nemiro
Dr. Jay Nemiro
Dr. Andrew Silverman
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Conceiving a female
Taking Clomid (clomiphene) alone will increase the chances of having a daughter from 49 to 60%.
If you take Clomid (clomiphene) and do gender selection you can increase the chances of having a daughter to 70% (see www.Genderselection.Com).

In brief: Conceiving a female
Dr. Andrew Silverman
Dr. Andrew Silverman
2 comments
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Please cite the study that shows 40% males / 60% females with Clomid. 46% male / 54% female singletons with Clomid treatment in a small study (but the no Clomid group had 60% male / 40% female which is not very believable, probably too small a sample size to get accurate sex ratios) http://1.usa.gov/IJfm4Y
Dr. Michael Opsahl
I agree with Dr Rehman. I have been involved with Family Balancing Gender Selection since the 90's with MicroSort (Genetics&IVF Institute) and more recently in my own practice. Clomid is unlikely to raise the sex ratio that much as the studies are very weak (and definitely not my experience). Only sperm sorting (no longer available) and IVF/PGS are reliable. Sorry Dr Silverman, but we must agree to disagree on this one.
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Fertility Medicine
In brief: IVF with PGD works
There is no 'easy method' of timing intercourse, different positions etc.
Sperm density gradient washing doesn't work. An experimental sperm-sorting method (microsort) never got approved for use in the us and stopped being available march 2012. In vitro fertilization with preimplantation genetic diagnosis (ivf with pgd) is the only proven method, and is offered by many clinics for family balancing.

In brief: IVF with PGD works
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Gregory Hines
In brief: 50/50
You will have a 50% chance of success with your plan.
There are many myths about what can and cannot influence the gender of a child, but the only way to guarantee it is to have artificial insemination after genetic testing. Barring that, you have a 50% chance of providing her an x chromosome from dad, and a 100% chance of providing one from mom.

In brief: 50/50
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Adam Levy