Hi. I have the shingles. I need to get rest and no stress. Can I get a doctor to admit me to the hospital for that?

Dr. Lonna Larsh

In brief: Probably not

When we admit people to the hospital, it has to be recognized as medically justifiable or insurance won't pay for it.
It would have to be a very extreme case of shingles (which is possible, but quite rare) that would warrant hospitalization. No insurance company would cover that. If you can afford to pay out of pocket for that, then you are better off going on vacation and staying in a hotel.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Shingles

As soon as you are diagnosed with shingles, your doctor probably will start treatment with antiviral medicines.
If you begin medicines within the first 3 days of seeing the shingles rash , you have a lower chance of having later problems, such as postherpetic neuralgia.You will not be admitted to the hospital for shingles.

In brief: Shingles

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Arnon Rubin