I'm a 36 year old woman pregnant with my first child. My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage - trisomy 23. Should I get a cvs test?

Dr. Scott McLean
Clinical Genetics
In brief: Talk with your OB
The risk for trisomy increases for women over age 35.
A number of different chromosomal abnormalities - including different trisomies - can happen at any age. Most often, these cause severe problems and the pregnancy is lost. Rarely a trisomy or other chromosome problem is the result of a rearrangement that one parent silently carries. Be sure show your OB the test results from your miscarriage.

In brief: Talk with your OB
Dr. Scott McLean
Dr. Scott McLean
Dr. Swati Avashia
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
In brief: Personal decision
Cvs is helpful if you think you would want end the pregnancy in the first trimester based on the results and for genetic counseling for future pregnancies.
If you don't think you would end the pregnancy, you may want to consider waiting until your second trimester to get an amniocentesis, it is lower risk and will still give you the genetic information you are looking for.

In brief: Personal decision
Dr. Swati Avashia
Dr. Swati Avashia
In brief: Other methods too
You can have non-invasive testing (NIPS) done as early as 8 weeks.
It takes fetal cells found circulating in mothers blood to do testing similar to CVS. (and not as risky)

In brief: Other methods too
Dr. Adam Levy