My girlfriend has bumps on the back of her tongue. Her allergy dr said they're from post nasal drip. Any way to get rid of them when they flare up?

Dr. Martin Ostro
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Treat postnatal drip
By controlling the postnasal drip with appropriate meds (e.
g. Intranasal steroid spray and/or intranasal antihistamine spray, oral antihistamines) the bumps should resolve. There is no therapy which can treat the tongue directly.

In brief: Treat postnatal drip
Dr. Martin Ostro
Dr. Martin Ostro
Dr. Steven Zekowski
In brief: Sounds wrong to me.
1) post-nasal drip will not cause bumps or swelling of the tongue.
It is just mucus, and even infected mucus won't do this. 2) tongues normally have bumps - papllae, and in the posterior of every tongue there are larger papillae. This is normal. You many or may not see these every time you look depending how far out you stick your tongue.

In brief: Sounds wrong to me.
Dr. Steven Zekowski
Dr. Steven Zekowski
Dr. Paul Carter
The vallate papillae on the posterior tongue contain taste buds and can sometimes be large. I see them routinely when examining the oral cavity and throat. Large "bumps" on the posterior pharynx or throat may be "cobblestoning" which is associated with allergy and post-nasal drainage.
Dr. Arnon Rubin