I have my father and uncle who have colon cancer. What age recommended for colonoscopy? Occult tests were negative in my family. Thnks

Dr. Donald Kim
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Depends
Typical recommendation to begin screening is at 50 yrs of age.
With a family history such as yours, you might begin earlier, typically 10 years prior to the age of your youngest family member afflicted with colon cancer. If your father was 50 yrs old (young), start at 40 yrs. Occult blood testing is acceptable screening, but i would opt for a colonoscopy if able to have one performed.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Donald Kim
Dr. Donald Kim
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology
In brief: Normally after 50.
In the United States, screening is recommended between the age of 50 and 75 years with sigmoidoscopy every 5 years and colonoscopy every 10 years.
Fecal occult blood testing of the stool is typically recommended every two years, and can be started at 40. For those at high risk, screenings usually begin at around 40.

In brief: Normally after 50.
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Inma Prieto
In brief: Early colonoscopy
Normally you would advance your first colonoscopy to age 40, from the standard age of 50, but if your father and uncle were diagnosed with colon cancer before age 50 you could start your colonoscopies as early as age 30-35.

In brief: Early colonoscopy
Dr. Inma Prieto
Dr. Inma Prieto
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery