How can you get rid of fungi on the toe? Is there any over-the-counter medication?

Toe fungus. There are several otc topical medications such as Lamisil (terbinafine) cream, lotrimin af, loprox, tolnaftate cream and powder, desenex powder, to name a few. But may not be as effective as presciption from your doctor.
Fungus toenails. There really aren't any effective otc medications for fungus in the toenails. They just aren't strong enough and can't penetrate deep into the nail to kill the fungus. In my opinion there are only two effective methods; oral terbinafine tablets for a minimum of three months or laser treatment of the nail. Terbinafine can have a negative effect on your liver and laser is not covered by insurance.
Antifungal cream. This is athlete's foot, several anti fungal creams and powders available over the counter that need to be used for 3-4 weeks, also keep feet as dry as possible, change out socks mid day and avoid going barefoot in locker room showers. For toenail fungus, I would not waste money on over the counter medicines, prescription sporanox or Lamisil (terbinafine) are your best options.