What are the benefits of splitting lantus (insulin glargine) into 2 doses as opposed to one?

Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY

In brief: Lantus (insulin glargine)

Is a long acting insulin, is meant to be used once a day.
Every patient is unique, so adjustig your regimen is unique as well. Is better to ask your doctor for his/her reason to do split the dose. I am curious as well. The important issue is the total dose you need per day (once, or in divided doses. Again Lantus (insulin glargine) is mainly for once a day due to it long duration).

In brief: Lantus (insulin glargine)

Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Melissa Young
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: For high dose

At high doses, there may be better absorption if the dose is spilt in two, instead of injecting over 80 units all in one spot at one time, although there is little data to back that up.

In brief: For high dose

Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Arnon Rubin