5 doctors weighed in:

What would happen if child swallowed a tiny magnet ball?

5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alan Levine
Pediatrics
4 doctors agree

In brief: Probably nothing

If it were a single magnetic ball, it would pass "in the end.
" the real problem might occur if one or more such balls were swallowed. They could stick to one another within the lining of the digestive tract and cause a necrosis of the gut at the point where they have attracted/adhered to one another.

In brief: Probably nothing

If it were a single magnetic ball, it would pass "in the end.
" the real problem might occur if one or more such balls were swallowed. They could stick to one another within the lining of the digestive tract and cause a necrosis of the gut at the point where they have attracted/adhered to one another.
Dr. Alan Levine
Dr. Alan Levine
Thank
2 comments
Dr. James Ferguson
In other words, 2 magnets,in separate parts of the gut, could pinch tissue between them and cause a hole to form.Then digestive material would leak into the abdomen and lead to death.
Dr. Ira Katz
You need to be 100% sure that you only swallowed one magnet. If it is possible you swallowed two and it is one of the stronger magnets they make today you need to be seen urgently if not emergently for evaluation. If one magnet only you should be able to get it back in a day or two a week if you really want it.
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Shontae Buffington
Board Certified, Pediatrics
13 years in practice
838K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors