2 doctors weighed in:
If a child were to accidentally eat a poisonous spider would the child get sick from the venom?
2 doctors weighed in

Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics
1 doctor agrees
In brief: Probably NOT
Kids can accidentally swallow tiny spiders while playing outdoors.
The amount of venom in a tiny bug should not be a problem if swallowed and digested, or if rolled around in the mouth and spit out. A big poisonous spider biting a kid inside his mouth would be bad. If a kid chomped on a spider, it's possible that venom could be absorbed in the mouth; but in the stomach, acid should disable venom.

In brief: Probably NOT
Kids can accidentally swallow tiny spiders while playing outdoors.
The amount of venom in a tiny bug should not be a problem if swallowed and digested, or if rolled around in the mouth and spit out. A big poisonous spider biting a kid inside his mouth would be bad. If a kid chomped on a spider, it's possible that venom could be absorbed in the mouth; but in the stomach, acid should disable venom.
Dr. Robert Kwok
Dr. Robert Kwok
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Jonathan Jassey
Board Certified, Pediatrics
13 years in practice
1M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors