How to explain a parent's bipolar disorder to a child?

Dr. Neil Liebowitz

In brief: By good example

Depending on age, bipolar is a brain disease that can affect how someone feels and behaves.
It can be managed with good treatment and healthy lifestyle and worsened by drug and alcohol abuse. I think it is important for children to know that they are at risk so that they avoid things that might trigger the illness and get early tx. Some of the best outcomes are in the children who headed parent.

In brief: By good example

Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Thomas Riney

In brief: Boo boo on the brain

Depending on the child's age, appropriate explinations can and should be given so that the child does not blame himself for his parents abnormal behavior and interactions with the child.

In brief: Boo boo on the brain

Dr. Thomas Riney
Dr. Thomas Riney
Dr. Jonathan Jassey