How do you deal with a severely autistic child's behavior when he becomes violent?

Dr. Thomas Riney

In brief: Medication

Medication can be helpful to take the edges off of violent outbursts, and some success has been found with vests that give the sensation of a hug to select patients.

In brief: Medication

Dr. Thomas Riney
Dr. Thomas Riney
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Medical?

I hope the child is receiving behavioral intervention.
Abilify (aripiprazole) and Risperdal are approved for treating irritability in 6-17-year-old children with autism. Along with oral tablets for daily use, they do come as " melt-tabs, "little sponges that melt on contact with the child's tongue and work really quickly. Straight talk about psychiatric medications for kids by dr. Tim wilens is a good book.

In brief: Medical?

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Eric Weisman