Is tinea versicolor an early sign of HIV infection? I get conflicting answers here.

Not by itself. Tinea versicolor by itself is not an indication of an impaired immune system. Markers for aids are infections like widespread candidiasis, coccidiomycosis, toxoplasmosis, tb, and others. If you are concerned, please see your primary care provider and get tested for hiv. That is the only certain way of knowing if you are infected.
Possibly. Cutaneous fungal infections may be an early sign of HIV infection. However, the overwhelming percentage of time, tinea versicolor occurs with an underlying condition.