How long does it take for a child with autism to respond to a gluten free diet, if indeed he is going to respond?

In brief: Separate out issues

If the kid has gluten sensitivity confirmed by lab tests and or intestinal biopsy, going gluten free can reduce the related digestive issues like it would any normal kid.
It will not reverse autism or autism specific symptoms. Institution of restrictive diets can give you something to do, but is a waste of effort for most parents.With such issues there is always another "cure" just around the bend

In brief: Separate out issues

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: The incidence of

Celiac disease is ~ 7% in children with autism & in neurotypical children.
Laboratory studies can determine the need for a gluten-free diet. Children with autism who have reflux, constipation, eosinophilic esophagitis, &/or food allergies/intolerance may be less irritable when the medical disorder is diagnosed & treated, but no diet has been proven to reduce core symptoms of autism.

In brief: The incidence of

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Lisa Rankin
ADHD & Autism

In brief: Weeks to months

The gf/cf does not cure autism even in those who show a positive response to this intervention.
In those who respond it can help with hyperactivity and emotional instability. Other dietary interventions such as the feingold diet and avoiding low blood sugar make a big difference for some children. Start with dairy and restrict for 6 weeks. At that point pull gluten out of the diet for 3 months.

In brief: Weeks to months

Dr. Lisa Rankin
Dr. Lisa Rankin
Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Variable

I have to be clear that I do not bellieve gluten- and/or casein-free diets substantively change the course of autism.
However, I have patients whose parents believe they see enough behavioral improvments to warrant the fairly labor-intensive effort is worthwhile. They describe benefits within days to weeks, with essentially immediate worsening when "slips" occur, as they often do.

In brief: Variable

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Arthur Hoffman

In brief: Please listen

Autism causes pain to the family, the individual.
It is a very serious, ill understood brain malady. Since leo kanner first described this developmental conundrum inthe1950's the heart rending inability to to relate affectively, catastrophic reaction to routine disruption, repetitive compulsive behaviors have cause an increasing # of parental pain. Tx with comp offer hope.

In brief: Please listen

Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Eric Weisman