At what age should a child start seeing a dentist for dental cleaning?

Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry
In brief: 1yr
At age 1 is the recommendation.
Do not wait until 3. I have done fillings on 2 year olds...Not fun. Get them in early, for your education and to help your child build positive experiences with the dentist so that if/when treatment is needed it is not so scarey for the child. I wouldn't expect decay at age 1 but it does happen by age 2. Some dentists will tell you 3 or even 5...That is wrong.

In brief: 1yr
At age 1 is the recommendation.
Dr. Jake Richards
Dr. Jake Richards
2 comments
Dr. Mark Diamond
I would not disagree,but show me some data that the cost- benefit is there. I have 38 yrs experience and have yet to have a problem dental-wise that I have missed on my exams in pediatric office.And all of our local pediatric dentists disagree with regular exams at 1st eruption.
Dr. Mark Diamond
Get in early for positive experiences? Rather expensive,eh.
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Different Opinions
Somewhat controversial.
The pediatric dentist's society recommends dental care as early as 6 mos/a. In our community, most pediatricians suggest beginning care between 2-3 y/o unless there is a problem.

In brief: Different Opinions
Somewhat controversial.
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
3 comments
Dr. Arnold Malerman
I disagree. How do you know there is a problem? The child is in pain? they have a draining abscess,? Their teeth start to turn brown? They get fussy, won't eat, cry? Would you not take your child to the Pediatrician until they were 2-3. Please go to dentist (preferably Pedodontist) as soon as 1st tooth erupts, but no later than Age 1.
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: 1st tooth
The moment there's something to clean.
Go no later than age 1 for check of dentitional development, jaw development, examination, cleaning, oral hygiene instruction, diet advice, Fluoride management, and most of all so the baby gets used to dental visits and treats them as fun and routine.

In brief: 1st tooth
The moment there's something to clean.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Mark Diamond
I would not disagree,but show me some data that the cost- benefit is there. I have 38 yrs experience and have yet to have a problem dental-wise that I have missed on my exams in pediatric office.And all of our local pediatric dentists disagree with regular exams at 1st eruption.And "most of all so the baby gets used to dental visits and treats them as fun and routine" !!!! Please !!!
Dr. Jonathan Jassey