My baby has had pink eye for 2 weeks and the eyedrops have not helped. What should I do?

Dr. David Speck
Ophthalmology

In brief: Recheck

Not every infection responds to every antibiotic.
If the infection has not cleared within 10 - 14 days, recheck with the doctor who prescribed the original eyedrops. Every medical treatment is an experiment. We never know which drug will work, though we are usually pretty sure. Sometimes, we have to try a different treatment if the first one doesn't work.

In brief: Recheck

Dr. David Speck
Dr. David Speck
Dr. Victor Bello
Ophthalmology

In brief: Pink eye in infants

Assuming that we are not talking about a newborn (30 days or younger).
Pink eye is typically a viral infection and antibiotic eye drops are generally unnecessary. The redness may be caused by the eye drops themselves. Is it pink eye or other condition? Tear duct obstruction is not uncommon. I will repeat again as in most of my answers an accurate diagnosis is essential.

In brief: Pink eye in infants

Dr. Victor Bello
Dr. Victor Bello
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine